Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bye-Bye, Pacifier


During the month of April all around Omaha different neighborhoods have a weekend set aside for garage sales. This weekend was our neighborhood's. Friday morning my friend Heather and I loaded up Ava and her little boy Dhevan who is the same age as Ava and went looking for a few good finds. I have to say I think I found a really good one too. It was the only thing I bought and it was only $0.25--a book called "Bye-Bye Pacifier". Ava loves this book. We have read it several times to her and you can tell that she fully relates to Piggy about needing that pacifier. On Friday after reading it I asked Ava if she wanted to do as piggy did and say bye-bye to her good friend the paci. I got a definite NO! Then this evening I was talking with Ava about her favorite paci that was completely torn apart, telling her it was ripped and should go in the garbage. With no fight out of her she said "Mommy, I frow it in gabage." I told her if she throws it in the garbage there is no getting it out. She said "OK mommy" and up she went and threw it away. Immediately she ran into her bedroom and said, "I need my blue paci mommy." She found it and was very happy about that. I would say it was an hour later that she tells me she was going to throw her blue paci in the gargbage too. Again I told her if it was in the garbage it was gone forever. "OK mommy"! and up she went again and threw it away. She came down stairs so proud of herself saying "Daddy, I frew my paci in the gabage." We all told her what a big girl she was and how proud we are of her. Later when she went to bed she cried a little saying "I want my paci" when I asked her if she threw it away she said yeah and pretty much accepted that it was gone. She is in bed sleeping now and I am really proud that she did that all on her own without too much fuss about it. We shall see how she does tomorrow.

7 comments:

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

GOOD JOB!! I went through the same thing with Maya. I think I took it away about 6 months ago, but I was worried how she would do. We also had a book that talked about mailing it to the other babies that needed it. She cried the first night, but never again. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. NOw I just have to figure out how to take Ella's thumb away from her. HAHA!

Brenda Carlos said...

I'm anxious to hear how she did on night two. Please hurry and post an addendum! Love you guys,
Gma Brenda

staciandboys said...

I will definitely need to find one of these books when Glacier is a little older. I figure he can have it until he is 18 months and then we will see what we can do about getting rid of it. I found Wendy's parents phone number, but haven't found time to call yet. I am soon to be a single parent, and am trying to cope. How is it in Omaha? I may need to move somewhere far far away! hahaha!

Jessica said...

I just read about a tree somewhere in Denmark where everybody takes the pacis to live. Weird.
Then I read that some people will wrap up all the paci's in a pretty box and give them to someone who just had a baby for that baby. Of course the new baby does not use it, but you remind the "big" kid they gave them to a baby. Apparently that worked for the lady who wrote the article.
One friend had a daughter who was 3 1/2 when she finally Xed it...the paci fairy came and left a big toy and all the pacis when to live with her.
Hope day 2 was a success!

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

Aww! What a big girl! Good for her (and you)! Can't wait to see you guys!

Rhandi said...

SUCH a cute story! Way to go Ava!

Cindy said...

"I frew my paci away" How stinkin' cute! I'll have to look for that Muppet book in a few years.