Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another Alarming Adventure for Ava




So we were all standing around in the kitchen tonight looking for snacks and talking, when all of a sudden we saw this huge flash of light and heard a "pop" sound, as Ava yelped and jumped away from the wall. I dropped my spoon and watched for Ava's reaction. She slowly frowned, looked at us with a somber face and started pointing at her index finger. I ran it under the sink to wash off the black residue on her tiny finger and that seemed to calm her down. As I turned off the cold water she started to whine again and continued to pull/flick at her finger as her blue eyes teared up. It was obviously hurting her. We asked if she wanted Daddy to make it feel better and she nodded yes. He went to get Bandaids and wrapped two of them over what was forming as a blister on her pointer finger.

When Clint pulled the glade plug-in out of the electrical outlet to see why it had sparked, there was black residue all over the plastic cover and the back side of the plug-in. The prongs from the plug-in were scorched and there was a little earring just big enough to be held in place by the 2 deformed prongs. Apparently Ava, in her curiosity, had found Mayah's earring and wiggled it in between the prongs of the glade plug-in, which happened to be plugged in the electrical outlet. As you can see from the pictures, we were lucky it wasn't a lot worse. She could have been electrocuted or burned the house down!

We definitely learned our lesson, and I told Clint that he needed to go buy those child-proof plastic plug things and put them all over the house. I'm actually surprised this is the first time something like this has happened, because we are ALWAYS finding Ava hanging around the outlets and we always have to pull her away and distract her.

5 comments:

staciandboys said...

Your daughters are beautiful! It has been forever since I talked to you. I think about you and what you are doing all the time. It looks like you are very happy! What happened to Ava is very scary and I am glad that it wasn't worse. My first son was never curious like that, but I can already tell that my second one is going to get into everything. I am going to have to baby-proof my house all over again! Staci (Stewart)

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! Kids! Ava's like Colin... It doesn't seem to matter how many times they do something, they're going to keep doing it (regardless of consequences). Colin tried to burn the house down today by microwaving a toaster waffle. By the time I smelled it and got to it, I'm pretty sure it had already been on fire. The kitchen was filled with smoke, the waffle was completely black, and Colin was sitting on the counter, happily watching his waffle "cook." :S My house still smells of burned waffle :( but, could have been worse, obviously...

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh, that is scary! I'm glad it wasn't worse and that her tiny finger is okay. I will make sure to cover up the outlets for when my rugrat is old enough to get into mischief!

The Carlii said...

AVA!! Oh my gosh! She's crazy! I can't wait to see her again. Tell her she has to stick around for Thanksgiving! ;) See you guys soon!

Jessica said...

If you didn't already get some of those covers, let me know b/c we have a TON and I'd love to get rid of some. I can bring them Sunday.