Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mayah's Birthday Bedroom Makeover









We've been planning to makeover Mayah's room for some time now. We started collecting decorations and pieces of furniture that fit what we were looking for and had done a good job keeping it under Mayah's radar. Then one day, I asked her to go grab something out of the laundry in our basement. As she walked down the steps I remembered that we had stashed her new bed down there along with a few other decorations. After she came up, she casually mentioned to me that there was a cute pink headboard and footboard in the basement. I quickly looked for an excuse and told her it was for Ava. I wasn't sure if she bought it, but a few weeks later Clint went and got a twin bed for Ava which helped convince Mayah that maybe the stuff she saw was not for her afterall.

Over the past six months, we've fallen in love with this little boutique shop in Omaha's Old Market. It's called "You could, but wood ya?" and is run by this overly friendly (and talkative) lady, Linda. Linda is the owner, operator and artist all in one. She finds old pieces of quality furniture and then paints them to look sort of shabby chic...or antiqued. We bought a little rocking chair, a step stool and a dropleaf table from her a few months ago and told her to keep her eye out for a cute bed and dresser. It came down to the final week before Mayah's birthday, but she finally had all of the pieces we were looking for. My father-in-law was a little skeptical of the dresser when he helped me pick it up yesterday, because at first glance it looks pretty aged. He didn't know what theme we were going for... but when we got it home it fit in just perfectly...and added a lot of character.

I decided to go with black/white/pink and light green for colors, and collected all of the boutique-looking pieces I could find... from shelves to a mirror and picture frames. Grandma Brenda pitched in a really nice blanket, lamp and some silk flowers. We were a little uncertain how Mayah would actually like this new semi-grown up look... but the moment she walked in she absolutely loved it. Ava greeted her at the front door and said, "Mayah, Happy Burfeeday!" and then grabbed her by the hand and pulled her up to Mayah's room.

You can get the rest from the pictures... I don't think any other 8 year old girls will have a room quite like this...at least not with this much character. We sure love Mayah and hope she feels special in her new room!

6 comments:

Brenda Carlos said...

It was fun to be there when Mayah got her first glimpse of the room. She was genuinely surprised and thrilled. She kept wandering back there and kept seeing things she didn't see the first time. Amie, you did such a great job decorating that room--it really is darling!

GMA Bren

Cindy said...

Mayah is such a lucky little girl to have a cool room and cool parents like you and Clint. Good job on the furniture! I love to read the cute things Ava says.

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

Man, I shouldn't have told you about that place...you keep stealing all the best pieces! The room looks awesome! Good job! I can't wait to see you now that I'm home!

Jessica said...

That room is great. I love going the extra mile to make our kids happy...I just hope my cake is 1/2 as cute as her room.

Sarah said...

Cute!! Happy Birthday, Miss Mayah!

Unknown said...

Hi!
I love your bedroom makeover . . . I too loved that little Wood 'Ya shop. My husband and I were downtown this last weekend and wanted to stop by, but she is no longer there. Do you know if Linda is still fixing up furniture? And how to get in touch with her?

Thanks!
Amber Haake