Friday, July 18, 2008

Farewell my old friend!

As I take a big step in my life toward eternal happiness I am forced to say goodbye to my favorite article of clothing. This week I'll be going into the Temple for the first time, which means I will be wearing a garment after that. For anyone who reads this and is not familiar with the LDS garment... it is a type of modest under clothing that is worn to remind us of promises we've made to God, and is symbolic of Adam and Eve covering up in the garden of Eden. We believe they'll help protect us from temptation, and be an outward symbol of an inward commitment. The downside is that it does limit certain clothing choices available to the rest of the world.

Tank tops in the summer were always essential for me....especially since I have never thought much of wearing shorts. I have been trying to slowly work them out of my wardrobe for the last year, but still wear them on occasion. As of this coming Thursday I will have to say good bye to tank tops forever...I will be a garment wearing LDS girl!! As my good friend Serenity says "it is a small sacrifice for heavenly blessings," but in the heat and mugginess of summer, as I feel multiple layers of clothing sticking to my body it may be hard to think of it as a small sacrifice! I will do my best to stay positive about it and try to remind myself that I am setting an example for my girls to follow, and in the end it will all be worth it! So at this time I will have a moment of silence as I say farewell to my old friend--you will be missed!

5 comments:

Lacie said...

Way to go Amie! Your attitude is better then mine was.

The Carlii said...

A sacrifice--I guess a little. But absolutely worth it! I wish we could be there for both of your big days. I'll look forward to hearing how everything goes!

Cindy said...

It's a shame to cover up those perfectly cut arms that I was always jealous of!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I already got my plane ticket, car and hotel for Justin's grad! Just let me know if your coming! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, You're parents and I are splitting the cost of a rental car. If you decide on coming, we could all just squish into one car just to get on base, or if you guys are going to rent a car your parents could bring their parking pass to get on base and then we could have 2 cars.